Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Anticipating Tradition

I'm still in the Navy Delayed Entry Program, but it saddens me that when i make chief I like to be optimistic I will not get to experience the bonding and camaraderie that accompanies such activities. I am a a Freemason, and I understand the importance of initiation ceremonies. There is a difference between being initiated into an organization and hazing. Sure when I was initiated into the lodge, I wondered what the heck just happened, but the more I learned what everything meant and the significance of even the smallest detail, it all came together. I came out a better person than when I went in. An initiation is never meant to trifle with emotions, but as Chief Warrant Officer 3 Bill Worley wrote, it's all about teaching important lessons, building character and humbling when necessary. Despite being the young age of 24, I think it is sad that my peers are losing sight of the importance of rites of passage. I just hope when my time comes, there are still shell back initiations and such. - Bryan Hancock - Denison Texas -

No comments: